Field 120: Cantonese CST
Directions for Interpretive Listening Selected-Response Questions
For the Interpretive Listening section of the test, you will listen to audio recordings containing spoken messages in the target language and answer selected-response questions written in the target language based on each message.
For each audio recording, a preview of the test questions associated with the spoken message will be presented on the screen. The audio recording will begin playing automatically. Once the audio recording begins, you will not be able to pause, stop, or replay it.
There will be 90 seconds of silence at the beginning of each audio recording. During these 90 seconds, you should familiarize yourself with the test questions. You may need to scroll down to preview all the questions. You will not be able to select your response choices during this preview.
After the 90 seconds of silence, you will hear a spoken message. Listen carefully. Each spoken message will be played twice. After the spoken message has played twice, move to the next screen to begin answering the questions.
Note that in this section of the test, you can go back to previous screens to review or change your responses to questions. However, you will NOT be able to replay the audio recordings.
Please be aware that the visual enhancements and cannot be adjusted during the Interpretive Listening section of the test. You must make any desired adjustments now before you select "Next" to begin the Interpretive Listening section. You will not be able to adjust these features again until you have completed this section of the test.
Click the Next button when you have finished reading these directions and are ready to begin the Interpretive Listening section of the test. Once you advance to the next screen, the first audio recording will start automatically with 90 seconds of silence.
Be sure you have your headset on before proceeding.
Select the Next button to continue.
Sample Interpretive Listening Selected-Response Questions
[The examinee will see on screen ONLY the following directions:]
The 90 seconds of silence has begun. Below is a preview of the questions related to the recording. Use this period of silence to familiarize yourself with the questions before the spoken message begins.
[Preview versions of the 5 questions appear on the actual test.]
Listen carefully to the dialogue about traveling to Beijing and Guangzhou; then answer the questions. You will hear the dialogue twice.
[The examinee will hear the audio recording below, which includes a 90-second pause at the beginning:]
Update Required To play the media you will need to either update your browser to a recent version or update your Flash plugin.
Having trouble with the audio player? Right-click and download the .mp3.
[The passage shown below is the transcript used to make the audio recording on the actual test. It is shown here for study purposes only. The examinee will not see transcripts that accompany audio recordings on the actual test.]
Female: 係啊！所以最好就係夜晚先出门，白天係屋企吹冷气。吃完晚饭，那里啲人都习惯去街散下步，行下逛下，夜生活好丰富㗎。佢哋还习惯吃宵夜，我觉得在广州一定要去吃宵夜，另外 夜晚还可以去饮茶，糖水种类又多，超赞！有空你都应该去中国玩玩！
Now you will hear the dialogue again.
[The examinee will hear the dialogue again.]
Now answer the questions.
[The examinee will see on screen ONLY:]
Click "Next" when the recording ends to answer the questions.
[Each of the following 5 screens on the actual test will present a single item for the examinee to answer.]
- Correct Response: A. This question requires examinees to identify explicit and relevant information in a spoken message. In the dialogue, the female speaker clearly states that she visited her relatives in China during summer vacation (几好啊，趁住放暑假，同我屋企人去咗中国旅行，探亲 / 幾好啊，趁住放暑假，同我屋企人去咗中國旅行，探親).
- Correct Response: D. This question requires examinees to determine the meaning and nuances of words and phrases as they are used in spoken messages, including commonly used idiomatic expressions, figurative language, and common colloquial and culturally authentic expressions. In the idiomatic expression "人山人海," the mountain and ocean are used figuratively to mean "many people." The female speaker uses the expression when talking about the crowd on Wangfujing Street, a famous shopping area (我哋就去咗王府井步行街，那里人山人海，热闹得不得了，有上百间商店/ 我哋就去咗王府井步行街，那里人山人海，熱鬧得不得了，有上百間商店).
- Correct Response: C. This question requires examinees to determine an assumption, an intent, a perspective, or a point of view by analyzing the communicative strategies and social and cultural contexts of a spoken message. The excitement with which the female speaker talks about barbecue kebabs suggests that she was fascinated with this dish while she was in Beijing: "最特别嘅就係串烧，北京人叫做‘串儿’（chuanr），有好多不同的口味，除咗常见嘅烧鸡串、羊串、牛串，还有海星啦、蝎子啦，真係大开眼界！/ 最特別嘅就係串燒，北京人叫做‘串兒’（chuanr），有好多不同的口味，除咗常見嘅燒雞串、羊串、牛串，還有海星啦、蝎子啦，真係大開眼界！"
- Correct Response: D. This question requires examinees to determine the ways in which a speaker's point of view or perspectives are influenced by the cultural perspectives that underlie the cultural products and practices of the target country or countries, including the arts, architecture, historical events, science, influential individuals, or the political, economic, social, intellectual, or geographic contexts of the target language and culture(s). In the dialogue, the female speaker explains that Guangzhou nightlife is particularly vibrant in the summer, when it is too hot to do anything during the day. She explains that people enjoy going for walks at night to visit shops and to have tea and dessert (我觉得在广州一定要去吃宵夜 / 我覺得在廣州一定要去吃宵夜).
- Correct Response: B. This question requires examinees to make inferences or draw conclusions based on the context, situation, and information given in a spoken message. At the end of the dialogue, the male speaker says that everything that the female speaker has said sounds fun, and that he wishes to visit China himself, possibly for his next winter vacation. He asks the female speaker if she would like to go with him "听你讲到咁好玩，我都想去啊，明年寒假啦！一齐吗？ / 聽你講到咁好玩，我都想去啊，明年寒假啦！一齊嗎？," and she agrees. Therefore, it is very likely that the two speakers will make plans to travel to China together.