Frequently Asked Questions
|The Frequently Asked Questions below provide general registration and testing information for the NYSTCE program and specific information related to NYSTCE paper-based testing. For information about computer-based testing, see "Computer-Based Testing."|
Before Registering to Test
- Who is required to test?
- See "Who Is Required to Take the Tests?" for information about who is required to test.
- Which test do I need to take?
- See "Who Is Required to Take the Tests?" for information about which test(s) you need to take or whom to contact if you cannot determine which test(s) you need to take.
- Where can I find materials that will help me prepare to test?
- See "Preparing for the Tests" for information about where you can find test-preparation materials.
- When can I test?
- See "Test Dates" for a list of available test dates and their corresponding registration deadlines. See "Test Selection" and "Test Sites" for details about test and test area availability on each test date. (A particular test or test area may not be available on a particular test date.)
- Where can I test?
- See "Test Sites" for a list of test areas and for details about test and test date availability for each test area. (A particular test or test date may not be available for a particular test area.) See "Test Selection" for any additional information about test and test date availability for each test area.
- What are the test fees, and what methods of payment are acceptable?
- See "Test Fees and Payment Policies" for a complete list of test fees and any related service fees and for information about acceptable methods of payment and the policies that apply to the processing of your payment.
- How do I register to test?
- See "Internet Registration" for information on how to register online.
- What is My Account?
- My Account is a password-protected personal account system that provides access to online services for the NYSTCE program. For complete information about creating, using, and managing an account, see "About My Account."
- At what times are tests administered, and how much time will I have to test?
- See "Test Selection" for test session reporting and dismissal times and test session length and for details about test availability for each test session. (A particular test may not be available for a particular test session.)
- If I test on one date and do not receive my test scores until after the regular registration deadline for the next test date, am I then required to pay the late or emergency registration fee when I register to take the test again on that next test date?
- If you register during the late or emergency registration period, you will be required to pay the late or emergency registration fee. You may choose instead to register for a later test date.
After Registering to Test
- What should I do if I forget my account username or password?
- On the My Account log-in page, there is help available to candidates who have forgotten their username or password. Select the appropriate link and follow the instructions provided.
- How do I confirm my registration?
If you registered for any test except the ATS–P (video), you will receive your admission ticket by email after your registration has been processed and you have been assigned to a specific test site. However, if you requested alternative testing arrangements, you will receive your admission ticket by U.S. mail.
If you registered for the ATS–P (video), you will be sent a materials packet approximately two weeks after registering.
To confirm your registration status, select "Confirm or Modify Registration" and follow the instructions provided.
See "Confirming Your Registration" for more information about how to confirm your registration status and what to do if you are unable to confirm your registration status.
- How do I change my registration?
- See "Changing Your Registration" for details about how and when you may change your registration (e.g., your test date, your test area) or withdraw your registration and how to correct or update personal information that appears on your admission ticket (e.g., your mailing address).
- I did not receive an admission ticket. What should I do?
- Select "My Admission Ticket" to confirm your registration status and request another copy of your admission ticket. If you are unable to receive a copy of your admission ticket before your test date, you may use this service to print the admission information you need to bring to the test site to be admitted to the test administration.
- I lost my admission ticket. May I still be admitted to the test site without it?
Yes, you may still be admitted to the test site and permitted to test. However, you may first be required to complete additional paperwork, which could reduce your available testing time. See "What to Bring to the Test
Site" for details about what you may be required to do or provide at the test site if you do not have your admission ticket.
You may request another copy of your admission ticket online by selecting "My Admission Ticket." If you are unable to receive a copy of your admission ticket before your test date, you may use this service to print the admission information you need to bring to the test site to be admitted to the test administration.
- How do I update my personal or contact information?
- You may update your personal or contact information yourself by logging in to your account and following the instructions provided.
- My name has recently changed and now does not match the name that appears on my identification. What should I do?
- See the identification policy in "What to Bring to the Test Site" for details about what you may be required to do or provide at the test site if the name on your identification differs from the name in which you registered.
- Will I be permitted to use a calculator on the test for which I have registered?
Depending on the test, you may or may not be permitted to use a calculator. See "Test Selection" for information about whether calculator use is permitted for the test for which you have registered.
"Test Selection" also contains information about the types and models of calculators approved for use on tests and whether calculators are provided or must be brought by examinees.
The Day of the Test
- I was absent from the test administration. Will I receive a refund?
If you are absent, you will not receive a refund or credit of any kind. You will need to register and pay again to test at a future administration.
See the absentee policy in "Reporting to the Test Site" for additional information about absence due to emergency circumstances.
- If, after testing, I would like to submit a comment about my testing experience, how should I do that?
- If you have comments about the test site or the conditions under which you took a test, please submit your comments in a letter sent to Evaluation Systems at the address indicated in "Contact Information." Your letter should be received by Evaluation Systems no later than seven days after your test date.
Scores and Score Reporting
- When will my scores be available?
- See "Test Dates" for an overview of test dates and their corresponding score report dates. See "Release of Your Test Scores" for details about different ways in which your scores are made available to you.
- How will I receive my scores? Can I access my scores online?
- See "Release of Your Test Scores" for details about how your scores are made available to you. For instance, when you register, you can sign up to receive your scores by email.
- How are tests scored, and how do I read my score report?
- You will receive with your score report an explanation of how to read and interpret your scores. Also, you may access details about how to read and interpret your scores by selecting "Score Reporting" at the top of this web page. In addition, see "NYSTCE Passing Requirements" for information about test design, score scales, and how passing scores or standards for tests are established.
- May I request that my test be rescored?
- Yes. See "Requesting a Rescore" for complete information about available rescoring services.
- May I request additional copies of my scores?
- Yes. See "Requesting Additional Copies of Your Test Results" for complete information about how to request additional copies of your scores.
Alternative Testing Arrangements
- How do I request alternative testing arrangements for a disability?
- See "Registering for Alternative Testing Arrangements" for complete information about how to submit a request for alternative testing arrangements for a disability (physical or other than physical).
- May I submit my request for alternative testing arrangements on the Internet?
- No. When you register on the Internet, you will need to submit by fax or U.S. mail, after completing your registration on the Internet, your Alternative Testing Arrangements Request Form and any required documentation. See "Registering for Alternative Testing Arrangements" for additional important information about how to request alternative testing arrangements.
- May I still request alternative testing arrangements after the regular registration deadline?
- Yes. However, because of the time that it takes to review requests adequately, and because of test-site and staffing constraints, there is no assurance that requests received after the regular registration deadline can be accommodated.
- The last time that I tested, my request for alternative testing arrangements was granted. Do I need to submit the paperwork again each time I register?
- The Alternative Testing Arrangements Request Form must be submitted each time you register. The first time that you request alternative testing arrangements, you will need to submit all of the required documentation to support your request for accommodations. Evaluation Systems will keep your documentation on file for one year. If you register for subsequent test dates during that year, you only need to submit your completed registration, correct payment, and a completed Alternative Testing Arrangements Request Form, as long as your disability and the requested accommodations have not changed.
- May I submit a request to test on an alternative test date for religious reasons?
- See the "Alternative Test Dates" section in "Registering for Alternative Testing Arrangements" for complete information about how to register for an alternative test date for religious reasons.
Pearson, P.O. Box 226, Amherst, MA 01004